Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Never Forgetsy. . . the lessons we learn the hard way. . .

Well here's hoping that all the new handmade venue's never do forget Etsy.   I know it's been awhile since I actually wrote a post. .  sorry about that I have been busy busy busy.  The first thing I'd like to talk to you about that I am super excited about is that I have opened my very own webstore, where you don't have to sign up for anything and you can buy some products over there.  You can even contact me for custom orders an such over there. .  and I know I am not a web designer or anything and it needs some work but you can check it out here : Crochetbymel.com
Secondly (break out the party hats)  Whooo hoo!!!  I have finally got 100 sales on Etsy.  I thought it would never happen.  Surely I thought it would never happen once Etsy rolled out the IPO and cut ties with just about every social media platform I used to promote it.  You know they encourage you to promote your products on sites.  That's like an all day thing tweeting and pinning and saving on Wanelo and tumblr ( I still have little to no clue how that thing works) and g+ and then what happens?   You find out these sites are burying your posts hiding them in a little dark corner never to be seen again.  Still I managed to pull it out in the last hour.  Thank goodness!  So why would Etsy do this to their sweet little handmade artisans and crafters?  It's all about the $$$ see when you get a product selling on there all the sudden that product goes o the top of the list when someone searches for something like your item.  When there's tons of reseller's on there selling made in china. . . well than your posts get sent to the little far back corner as well. Because they want to make money.  Never mind that one fifth of all their money is OUR FEES.  So guess what?  Me and about every etsy seller I know .  . well scratch that all of them.. . . are stopping relisting stuff on Etsy.  Lets see if they miss their little 20 cents multiplied by hundreds of listings, multiplied by hundreds of sellers.  Since we are all selling less as well they are getting less selling fee's on top of that.  I guess they will just have to sell more stock to make up for all the shops leaving to go to Shopify or other platforms or just flat out giving up and they will sell a multitude of made in China. . . till everyone realizes they lost their handmade cred and then starts shopping on Amazon. . . yep that's right.  Amazon is going to open up a handmade market.  They already get a lot of traffic.  So it would be nice to be able to post stuff on there, not spend all day promoting it and get customers who actually want nice, handmade quality items.  Or you know, on my stand alone site where I don't have to worry about glitches or other issues or paying fee's. . .

Lastly I am having a contest to promote my new webstore and my new selection of fun festival tops.  You can enter it right here the lucky winner will get the festival top in their choice color and size.  FOR FREE.  I am one fifth the way to the goal, so if you know any fun loving girls please tell your friends.  It's pretty easy to enter if you have a wanelo account, if you don't you can always get one.

So lets not forget the lessons of Etsy.  Do not depend on a 3rd party for your business to thrive.  In the end all they care about is the bottom line.  Buyer beware on Etsy.  If it looks too good to be true it probably is.

I know I say this every time but I will try to be more "around" on here.  Maybe it will stick this time :)


No comments:

Post a Comment