Thursday, December 24, 2015

Confessions of a florist: Christmas time

It's not just Christmas when your a florist.  It's Christmas for a whole month, soon as Thanksgiving is over you got fresh pine and everything is green red and white.  Poinsettias fill the shop and Christmas music is on and your one of Santa's little elves making pretty things to bring Christmas cheer to hundreds of households.  I even got to come in on a Sunday and fill a bunch of orders all by myself!  It was magical.  No customer distractions, no phones ringing, no small talk with other designers (I am a bit of an introvert) just me and music and pretty pretty flowers making beautiful things all by my lonesome.  As I was standing there having the time of my life I couldn't believe I actually get paid to do this!  Don't tell my boss but I'd do it for free that's how much I love it.  Some confessions though.  .

1.  Your hands are always dirty.  Doesn't matter how many times you wash them there's always pine sap under your fingernails and dirt in the folds of your cracked dried skin.  It's pretty bad actually.  I am probably going to get some bleach for when I wash dishes maybe that will help clean em up.

2.  You smell like Christmas.  That pine?  Yeah. . .it smells awesome but you smell like it for pretty much the whole month.

3.  All the sudden when its over you have a whole new appreciation for other colors of flowers.  The purples, yellows, blues and pinks are so much brighter and prettier after looking at red green and white for so long.  Yellow. . I have always been a yellow girl but its so much brighter, incredibly lovely, you almost forget about all other flowers aside from roses, carnations, spray roses, mini carnations poms and lilly's for basically a month.

4.  You wake up and your feet already hurt.  I remember waking up 5 minutes before the alarm and being like why do my feet hurt?  I haven't even done anything yet . . but its the price we pay for spreading Christmas cheer.

5.  You don't understand how the days go by so fast- I mean seriously you are so busy it feels like your there for 5 minutes and its time to go home.  It's a good thing we have Christmas month because to me anyways it only feels like about a week.  And when its done you get an intense satisfaction of oh yeah. . .I kicked that Christmas square in the nuts.  You totally feel like you did "Christmas"  once you've been a florist at Christmas time not being one just. . .it's not really Christmas.  It's way too easy, just feels like something is missing you know?

Well that was Christmas. . .I can't WAIT for Valentines day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment